Picking the best goose down comforter comes with a number of practical considerations. If you’re doing online shopping, you’ll need to have a pretty good idea about the different sizes and their significance.
The goose down comforter size will typically have to be coordinated with the size of the mattress. The following article will give you a couple of useful guidelines and make it easier for you to choose the most adequate size.
Keep in mind that the size does have an impact on the price of the comforter. Thus, if you’re not confident about picking the right dimensions, you may end up spending too much money on a comforter that isn’t the right one for you.
The size of your bed’s mattress is the one that will be determining for the size of the goose down comforter. Let’s explore all of the standard sizes:
- A twin sized mattress typically measures 39 by 75 inches
- A twin XL mattress typically measures 39 by 80 inches
- A full mattress typically measures 54 by 75 inches
- A queen mattress typically measures 60 by 80 inches
- A king mattress typically measures 76 by 80 inches
- A California king mattress is the biggest one and it typically measures 72 by 84 inches
These are the standard North American dimensions for mattresses. If you live in another part of the world, there could be some differences. You may want to double check the measurement of your bed and purchase a down comforter on the basis of these numbers.
Standard Comforter Sizes
Now that you know what the size of your mattress is, it’s time to take a look at standard comforter sizes. You’ll notice that there’s a difference between the two measures. This difference stems from the fact that comforters are supposed to hang a little bit off the edge of the bed. The larger size is required to guarantee ultimate comforter.
The following list features the standard North American goose down comforter dimensions on the basis of mattress type:
- A twin-sized goose down comforter has a length varying between 86 and 88 inches and a width varying between 66 and 68 inches.
- A queen-sized goose down comforter has a length varying between 96 and 100 inches and a width varying between 86 and 88 inches.
- A king-sized goose down comforter has a length varying between 86 and 88 inches and a width of 102 inches.
- A California king-sized goose down comforter has a length varying between 96 and 98 inches and a width varying between 107 and 110 inches.
Keep in mind that these sizes are considered guidelines. Many manufacturers have their own standards that fall off the standard chart. Usually, all of them provide sizing charts that feature the dimensions that the respective comforter type corresponds to.
For the most adequate purchase, you’ll simply need to measure the size of your mattress and find out which goose down comforter offered by the respective manufacturer is the best match.
A Few Additional Tips and Suggestions
If you have a king-sized mattress, the most adequate decision would be to get a king-sized goose down comforter. People who own full-sized beds, however, may find it a bit more challenging to choose. Usually, both full-sized and queen-sized goose down comforters would be a good pick.
Are you still a bit uncertain about the best pick? This may be the case if there are minor differences between the lengths and the widths of the different comforter varieties. In such instances, it would be best to call the manufacturer and ask for a recommendation on the basis of mattress size.
Picking a goose down comforter will also depend on the thickness of your mattress.
Remember that mattresses are three-dimensional. If your mattress is a very thick one, you may want to get a comforter that’s a bit bigger. This way, you’ll have more of it hanging from the sides of the mattress and giving you warm comfort throughout the night.
The final option that you have is a custom-made goose down comforter. This option is particularly beneficial for individuals who don’t own a standard mattress. If your bed doesn’t correspond to any of the dimensions mentioned in the above sections of the article, you may want to look for a custom-made goose down comforter. Though a bit more expensive, such a product would offer an ideal match.